How to Add Students to a Course
In this tutorial, you will learn how to add students to a course in the Course Module.
This is one of the most important steps when configuring a new course, or adding a new class to an existing course.
ROLES AND PRIVILEGES: (0:20)
First of all, you need to check if the user in charge of doing this task has been given a role with the privilege to access this functionality, weather it is an instructor or any other administrative level user.
You can check this by following the next steps:
1. Go to the Users Module.
2. Click on the “Roles and Privileges” button.
3. Select a role from the drop down list.
4. Go to the Courses tab.
5. Check the box “View the Courses Module’.
6. And finally, check the box to allow the user to “Edit students and classes”.
7. Close the window to finish.
For more information about the Courses Roles and Privileges, please watch the tutorial How to Manage the Roles and Privileges for the Courses Module.
ADD STUDENTS TO A COURSE: (1:07)
To add students to a course, you can start by creating a course or by choosing an existing course. To learn how to create a course, please watch the tutorial How to Add/Edit/Delete a Course.
Alternatively, you can also choose to copy an existing course to have as a base, and subsequently edit the title and lessons as desired.
Now that you have your new course created, follow the next steps to add the students:
1. First, log in to your account.
2. Go to the Courses Module.
3. Click on a course, for example, I am going to select IATPL.
4. Click on the Students tab.
5. Click on the plus sign on the right-hand side of the page.
6. Select an existing class from the menu on the left, or add a new class by clicking on the “Add class” button at the bottom of the window, now add a name to the Class and save, for example, I will create a class called “Class of 2022”. For more information about how to add a class, please watch the tutorial How to Create a Class of Students in a Course.
7. Now that you have selected the class from the IATPL course, you can select a student from the drop-down list and click on the “+ Add” button.
8. Add as many students as you want, by following the same steps.
9. When you finish adding all the students, you can download and print a PDF with the complete list of students and their headshots, by clicking on the “Print” button.
10. Close the window by clicking on the “Close” button on the bottom of the window, or the “X” button on the top of the window.
NOTE: All the students that you add in the different classes will be displayed in the “All Students” section on the menu on the left.
DELETE A STUDENT: (3:00)
You can delete a student from a class or from a course. If you decide to delete a student from a class, you will not be deleting the student entirely since he or she will still be part of the course.
Let me show you how this works:
1. Go to the Courses Module.
2. Click on the course where the student you want to delete is.
3. Go to the Students tab.
4. And click on the “Add” ➕ button on the right.
5. Now select the class where the student you want to delete is.
6. Click on the headshot of the student and then click on the “Delete” button which is the ❌ in the top corner. You will be prompted with a message: “Remove a student from a class. You are going to remove this student from this class. This will not remove him/her from this course, nor will it delete his/her evaluations. To delete the student from the course, go to All Students and delete him/her from there. Do you want to proceed?”. Click “Yes” to accept, or “No” to cancel.
As the message said, you will not be entirely eliminating the student from the course, you will only be eliminating the student from the class and the evaluations will not be eliminated.
7. Now if you want to delete the student from the course, go to the “All Students” tab.
8. Click on the photo of the student and then click on the “Delete” button ❌ in the top corner. You will be prompted with a message: “Remove a student from a course. You are going to remove this student from this course. By doing so, you will not be able to see his/her evaluations and attendance relative to this course anymore. His/her evaluations will not be deleted, so if you add him/her again afterwards you will be able to see them again. Do you want to proceed?”. Click “Yes” to accept, or “No” to cancel.
For more information about the Courses Module, please watch the corresponding tutorials.